Push-up Equator.

Does not equal

We Have Been Measuring Push-up Competitions Wrong.

I’ve been a top-heavy, chunky boy for a while during my childhood. Although I am currently working on altering that, don’t worry this post isn’t about my journey to getting absolutely shredded (fingers crossed) it’s instead about something that I discovered on the way there. (To clarify I’m not there yet. Check again in 6 months). 

While exercising I’ve progressively lost weight and I noticed that once I lost a few kilos the movements and exercises got much easier and effortless. So I’d have to increase the reps or opt for much harder variations in those exercises. One particular exercise though stood out. The Push-up. 


Every kid has been a part of at least one push-up competition. Whether voluntarily or otherwise. It’s a common metric that children and adolescents use to measure each other and square themselves up to the rest of the class/group/friend circle/team/gym. No space is too sacred for a push-up competition. Heck, I think I witnessed one between two boys in a temple in Trivandrum once. As they got down to Sakha namaskara (prostate themselves) to god they must have gotten bored. They happened to have looked at each other. And that was it, a rivalry was born.  

What followed was multiple half-assed push-ups by two little boys who were later promptly scolded and yelled at by both their parents and the pandit. 


Anyway, the humble equalising push-up is a fair metric for fitness and strength. Two factors are considered in a push-up competition:

  1. Time limit.

  2. The number of reps.

The time constraint varies. It’s either how many you can do under a minute or until your opponent gives up or there is no time limit and you just keep going until you can’t anymore i.e number of total reps.


While both factors might sound reasonable the truth is they are far from it. We’ve been measuring push-ups wrong for too long. It ends now. I’m all for competitiveness but as a chubby kid, I was lifting much more weight than my peers were. Yet 1 push-up for me was considered equal to one of theirs. That is not only unfair but also scientifically incorrect. The effort exerted by me and my peers aren’t the same. It takes greater effort to lift a heavier weight (myself in this scenario) than it would a lighter one (my competitor). Then how is one of mine equal to one of theirs? I call foul. 

 



So what’s the solution?

Ladies and gentlemen I pitch to you the push-up equaliser-a-nator. (Better name pending) I am yet to build the equaliser-a-nator. It’s on my list of projects for this year. Don’t worry, I’ll release it much before I get my six-pack. I’m only looking for consensus on this idea for now. Think of this post as an opinion poll. 


So how do I plan on creating this push-up equality machine? Why MAGIC of course! 

Nah it’s mathematics. But wouldn’t the world be more fun if magic did exist? Also isn’t science the modern equivalent of magic? Since we don’t exactly know how any and almost all of our technology even works anymore. The entire world depends on technology no one understands. But I digress one crisis at a time. 


The idea is simple, competitors enter their body weight into a website and then we can fairly equate push-ups between the two competitors. There is only one problem we need to know what percentage of push-up effort is due to bodyweight. I.e how much weight are you lifting when executing a single push-up? 


A 2011 study thinks that we support around 69% of our body weight in the push-up upward position and 75% in the push-up downward position in a traditional push-up. I’m slightly sceptical of these numbers they seem higher than I anticipated they would be. Turn's out I'm not the only one with that sentiment. However, until the next study, this is what we'll have to run with. 

 

In this study Twenty-eight (28) male subjects (age 33.62 ±8.59 years,
BM 84.66
±11.65 kg, height 178.98 6 5.76 cm) participated
in this study. These individuals were highly strength trained
(currently involved in resistance training 3 to 4 days per
week), were members of special forces and SWAT units
training at the National Strength and Conditioning Associ-
ation World Headquarters, and were experienced in the
push-up techniques used in this study. Subjects were healthy,
with no history of upper-extremity or spine pathology. This
experiment was approved by the institutional review board of
the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs for the
protection of human subjects, and all subjects were informed
of the procedures and potential risks involved before they
gave their written consent to participate. 
 

Though the sample size is tiny it's what is available.

In the traditional push-up,
subjects supported 69.16% (62.83%) of their BM in the up
position, and 75.04% (± 2.62%) in the down position. In the
modified push-up, subjects supported 53.56% (± 4.27%) of
their BM in the up position and 61.80% (± 3.48%) in the down
position
 

Once contenders enter their weight into the website/app/gimmick then the difference in their push-up upward and downward weights are compared and a ratio of push-ups can be arrived at. For example. Person X (1) = (1.7) Person Y

Once that has been established we can just multiply the ratios of each by the number of pushups done by them individually. Therefore, achieving true fair push-up comparison.

Can this be created? Yes. Is my math wrong? Probably. As mentioned earlier think of this as an opinion poll for the creation of the push-up equator. 

 

I need your help in naming it, however. Below are a few options I have been considering you may pick any of them or you could give it a whole other name. Let me know which one you decide on in the comments below. Heck comment your thought up name and we’ll roll with the one that sounds the coolest and is apt.


  1. Equaliser-a-nator.

  2. The Equaliser

  3. Equify

  4. Equidor (I think that’s a place though). Oh right, Ecuador is the place. Equidor is a possible name.

  5. Equi-distant

That’s all I can think of. My naming creativity is highly limited. Give me a hand in the comments below.



Comments

  1. Nicely written. I think the article is quite relevant in current times when everyone is seeking to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has taken part in many of these shameless and uncalled for push-up competitions I agree with you and eagerly await for your very intense app rendering of the push-up calculator.

    Also, Push-Up Calculator(PUC for short) is a much better name than your ambiguous wannabe-geographical nomenclature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PUC is easier to remember and cannot be mixed up with geography, agreed.

      Delete
  3. A well written article and it is evident that the author has a flair for writing. But to me,any further pursuit of the PUC (Push up Calculator) is an exercise in futility. One does Push ups as a part of his/ her physical fitness regime. Goes without saying that l need to carry my own weight! Whether I'm chubby or athletic, it's my body, my efforts and my gains !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PUC does seem more apt.
      Swole is the goal. Size is the prize. It's gains-a-clock! Lets go!

      Delete
  4. Extremely well written Abhijay..
    Equidor is a great choice...or would you want to link it to the time that you have written this piece and call it Covidor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh never thought about it like that. Perhaps your onto something here.

      Delete
  5. Hey well written with the right amount of tongue in cheek, I must confess I envy all who can do why push ups any exercise for that matter. Don't become too much of lean mean machine , because I still need my chubby 🐥 As far as name , call it by any name it is going to be tough going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am envious of these superhumans who can do push-ups. As far as names go PUC seems to be gaining some traction.

      Delete
  6. There is a flaw in this method according to me.

    Though I agree one who weighs more carries more weight while doing pushups but can that person actually more weight that the one who is regular & is lean as well!
    I doubt.

    E.G. I can put 20kg on my back & do 10 reps easily.
    I weigh 78kg now.

    Here, I have 20kg right above my back, it is not disturbured evenly across my body, unlike body weight.

    Put 10kg weight on someone who weighs 90kg, ask him/her to do 10 reps.

    Does it mean we both are carrying 100kg while doing pushups?

    Not really.

    This is probably not the right way of calculation.

    I think you should do a little more research in arriving at the calculator.

    Btw, Equidor sounds cool!

    All the best & keep working out 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. A lot more research is necessary. However, even utilizing the above method. It is simply a matter of finding out push-up upward and downward position weight levels and then adding the extra weights that would be atop the persons back. That would lead to a fairer trial.

      PUC and Equidor seem to be a crowd favorite at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Very Explicit , back you for every word 👍
    Keep it up Son !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, man. Means a lot. I'd just like the body shaming to be scientifically accurate is all. We'll tackle the bigger problems once we've learned to laugh at the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah come on man! As a young skinny guy, push-ups were the only thing that made me feel stronger than the rest, Don't take that away from me. Hahaha

    Jokes aside, it's a well written article.
    I second PUC ("Puhk" or "Pyook", however you pronounce it) cause push up till you puke! Let the gains begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo (Phuk or Pyook) sounds outstanding. Push-up till you puke. I like it. I think we have a winner man. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Nicely written... Another possible suggestion for the name.... Euiq-p. ( p for pushup)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm cute, short but dangerously similar to epi-p (epipen) or maybe that's just in my head. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.

      Delete
  11. I'd go with pequator😁 as in "pecs and mid-section equalizer". Subtly thumbing the nose, at gym rats and self deprecating humor, a frothy concoction guranteed to spark a smirk on the faces of one pack brigade😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pack brigade for life! Maybe pre-quator? It's got better ring to it don't you think?

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed the dilemma and the stories within the lines that you mentioned of your younger days. Good way to describe many things.... and a real problem of equating is not equal to zero.

    However, I think you forgot to consider one variable that is your own muscle strength. With larger body / size, one tends to have bigger muscles than that of a skinny guy nearby - pushing away to glory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading this piece. I so agree with Science being magic, as the 20th/21st century science eludes me. Magic to me is HP.

    Well, as far as being fair to push up participants based on how much one carries on the self , I think life is unfair more often than not. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is unfair. That is a fact.
      Maybe that's why science exits to distract us with shinny objects every once in a while.

      Delete
  14. I believe the name should say it all with no ambiguity. And so, I ‘ ll call it ‘Better
    pusher-upper competition’
    In short B-puc
    To easily remember, make it
    B-puke

    The article is well written, amusing and wry.
    The puffy cheeky writing hides the tongue well.
    Incidentally, you are striving for a ‘ six-pack’. In our neck of the woods ( USA) the word refers a ‘six-pack beer’, often accompanied by a girl-friend and a week-end.
    Great write-up!
    Keep it up!
    Push up and up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idea's to get the 6 pack here so that I can pick up a six pack there and maybe, just maybe find some company along the way. ;)

      Delete
  15. Aah! The mind goes back to ‘those’ days. How about ‘push-me-up’ for a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intriguing name. I'll be sure to keep stock of it. Those days you say, the push-up phenomenon seems to be timeless it seems.

      Delete
  16. Never done a push up in life. Can never do too. But that did not stop me from enjoying this read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries once the calculators up and running. I'm sure we can make the ratio's quite to your advantage. You'll never lose a push-up competition in your life.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Psychology of Money

My favourite German word.

Excuse me Moon, Can I lick you?